Thursday, August 7, 2008

Why I Write

When speaking of the function of the language, many people may wonder why should bother writing if we can simply speak to communicate. It may be true to assume so. But writing cannot be separated from speaking when it comes to communication. There is a wide range of contexts that necessitate both use of language such as business contexts, academic contexts, journalism contexts, and etc. Anyway, when you have me answer the same question, I’ll have a tough time finding some justifiable answers at first, but I could then come up with a few plausible reasons, probably not quite convincing. These are what encourages me to write.

First, I feel the urge to write because I've (unfortunately) claimed myself as a scholar (in the process of being as such anyway). I've consciously made this decision to devote my life to advancing knowledge and education. Consequently, I have to write as one of my duties and a characteristic feature of a scholar that distinguishes him from any other professionals. A scholar studies something, questions it, investigates it and in the end reports it in an acceptable academic paper, a kind of report that meets some academic writing principles.You can't imagine if scholars don't write, can you?

Second, I feel the urge to contribute to the world we are living in through writing. I must honestly say that oftentimes I don’t dare say, comment or let alone criticize anything openly through speeches. I usually prefer to be silent and express what I think and feel through writing. By writing, I feel the power to speak, to argue, to criticize, or even to confront anything that I think is improper or inappropriate based on the values and ideals I embrace. I feel that I can control the words, play with them, and make use of them as if they were guns to shoot somebody. I could even use them as a means of freezing or killing people. And I feel the joy of doing this because I think I can contribute to the betterment of the world at some point.

Now, do you have the same reasons as I do? Share your reasons.

1 comment:

  1. Nice writing. Good job.

    I wish I could write as well as you do.

    ReplyDelete